- Pankaj Gupta appointed as Director, DIPAM
- Ms. Basumathi G appointed as Dy Secretary, Dept of Biotechnology
- Lok Sabha accepts TDP,other opposition parties’ no-trust move against Modi government
- PM Modi attacks Mamata, accuses her of 'throttling democracy' and running 'syndicate raj' in Bengal
- AAP in deep trouble as 16 party leaders resign en masse in Punjab
The Union Cabinet chaired by the Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi has approved the proposal to amend Section 4(1) and Section 5(1) of the National Trust for the Welfare of Person with Autism, Cerebral Plasy, Mental Retardation and Multiple Disabilities Act, 1999 to fix the term of the Chairperson and Members of the Board of National Trust for three years.
Section 4(1) of the National Trust Act, 1999 provides that the Chairperson or a Member of the Board of National Trust would continue in office beyond the prescribed term of three years until his successor shall have been duly appointed. In case of resignation of the Chairperson, section 5(1) of the Act provides for him to continue in office until his successor is duly appointed by the Government. The wording of the above provisions of the Act in its present form has resulted in continuation of a Chairman for an indefinite period as no suitable successor could be found eligible for appointment. The proposed amendments in these provisions of the Act seek to avoid such a situation and will thus eliminate any chance of prolonged continuation in the same post by any incumbent.