- Kamlesh K Mishra gets extension as Director, M/o Power
- Ashish Kumar Bhutani appointed as CEO, PMFBY
- Deepak Khandekar gets addl charge of the post of Secretary, M/o Women & Child Development
- Justice Mrs. Manjula Chellur sworn as ATE in New Delhi
- C P Ramanarayanan appointed as Vice Chancellor, DIAT Pune
New Delhi: Former Attorney General Mukul Rohatgi has been appointed as an eminent jurist in the committee for appointment of the Lokpal, a statement from Centre told the Supreme Court on Tuesday.
Attorney General K K Venugopal told a bench headed by Justice Ranjan Gogoi that a decision was taken on May 11 appointing Rohatgi as an eminent jurist in the selection committee, which is chaired by the Prime Minister.
The decision was taken in view of the submission made during the hearing of contempt petition filed by the NGO Common Cause, which had raised the issue of non-appointment of the anti-graft ombudsman despite the apex court’s verdict of April 27 last year, when the apex court had made it clear that the existing Lokpal Act is a workable piece of legislation and there was no justification to keep its operation pending.
Rohatgi served a tenure of three years as Attorney General, from June 19, 2014 to June 18, 2017. In the year 1999, he was also appointed as Additional Solicitor General of India.