- Pankaj Gupta appointed as Director, DIPAM
- Ms. Basumathi G appointed as Dy Secretary, Dept of Biotechnology
- Lok Sabha accepts TDP,other opposition parties’ no-trust move against Modi government
- PM Modi attacks Mamata, accuses her of 'throttling democracy' and running 'syndicate raj' in Bengal
- AAP in deep trouble as 16 party leaders resign en masse in Punjab
Four of the five seniormost judges of the Supreme Court – Justices Jasti Chelameswar, Ranjan Gogoi, Madan Lokur and Kurian Joseph – said there was an immediate need to preserve the judicial system in the country if democracy has to be protected. The press conference, a first of its kind for sitting judges of the Supreme Court, is being held at the residence of Justice Chelameswar.
“We met CJI with a specific request which unfortunately couldn’t convince him that we were right therefore, we were left with no choice except to communicate it to the nation that please take care of the institution,” Justice Chelameswar said. A formal statement will be issued shortly.