- Jaitley hits at Congress for using petition as “political tool” to intimidate judges
- SC expresses unhappiness over public debate on CJI impeachment
- Opposition to move impeachment motion against CJI in Rajya Sabha
- Rahul Kulshresth appointed as Ambassador of India to the Arab Republic of Turkey
- Sanjay Bhattacharya appointed as next Ambassador of India to Republic of Turkey
Four of the five seniormost judges of the Supreme Court – Justices Jasti Chelameswar, Ranjan Gogoi, Madan Lokur and Kurian Joseph – said there was an immediate need to preserve the judicial system in the country if democracy has to be protected. The press conference, a first of its kind for sitting judges of the Supreme Court, is being held at the residence of Justice Chelameswar.
“We met CJI with a specific request which unfortunately couldn’t convince him that we were right therefore, we were left with no choice except to communicate it to the nation that please take care of the institution,” Justice Chelameswar said. A formal statement will be issued shortly.