- Vjiay Kumar appointed as Director(Rolling Stock), NHSRCL
- Gaigongdin Panmei appointed as Financial Adviser, North Eastern Council
- Tenure of Ms Ishita Roy, Joint Secretary in the Dept of Higher Education extended
- Rahul Chhabra appointed as next High Commissioner of India to Republic of Kenya
- Partha Satpathy posted as next Ambassador of India to Ukrain
Varanasi: At least 18 people were killed and several others injured when a portion of an under-construction flyover on Tuesday collapsed near a railway station in Varanasi.
According to Varanasi District Magistrate Yogeshwar Ram Mishra, five NDRF teams have been rushed to the spot for the rescue operation.
Police and NDRF sources say the death toll may go up to 50 or more as several vehicles, including a mini bus packed with passengers are trapped under the debris of the flyover which was being built by the Uttar Pradesh State Bridge Corporation and was scheduled to be inaugurated in December.
In the meanwhile, Prime Minister Narendra Modi took to Twitter to express grief over the unfortunate incident in Varanasi. Narendra Modi tweeted, “Extremely saddened by the loss of lives due to the collapse of an under-construction flyover in Varanasi. I pray that the injured recover soon. Spoke to officials and asked them to ensure all possible support to those affected.”